Things to Remember
- Shells are not easy to learn. It takes time. Practice and
experiment as much as possible. Look at others' configuation files.
Mooch mooch mooch...
- Shell holy wars just aren't worth it. Do a little investigation,
pick your shell, and make it work for you.
- The zsh man pages are always right. The authors did an outstanding
job of providing dead-on accurate information.
- Don't get frustrated. Zsh has lots of little syntax quirks. It's
hard to get exactly what you want on the first try. The cool stuff in
zsh was meant to be useful, not look pretty. Use this workshop and the
man pages often, and pay close attention to the syntax notes.
- You can lead a horse to water, but you can't beat him over the
head with a pail and expect him to be happy about it.